Thursday, December 7, 2006

this is where I live


So yes, I mentioned live in San Miguelito, which is located in the department of Intibuca. I guess I would say that departments here are the equivalent of states. Intibuca is one of the poorest departments in the country, it is very mountainous, and the roads are horrible. The capital of the department is La Esperanza, which is located about an hour away from me and is where I go to do just about anything and happen to be right this moment. La Esperanza is the coldest city in the country, I think it can get down to about 30 deg, and yes, it´s darn cold right now. It is the most agricultually productive region in the country and for this reason the market offers a great variety of vegetables. La Esperanza area is home to one of Honduras´s few indigenous cultures, the Lenca people. The Lenca culture is not a strong as say the Mayan culture of Guatemala. They lost their own language long ago, although they do manage to squeeze out a few crafts here and there. In the Lenca villages, which are very poor, there are occasional religious ceremonies, although I have never been to one. The have a synchronistic religion, a blend of Catholicism and their own traditional practices. Oh did I mention La Esperanza is also the drunk capital of Honduras - hmmm, this is a topic worthy of an entry all it´s own, so stay tuned.

4 comments:

Uncle Pete said...

The blog is a great idea and way to communicate. I loved the piece on luxury. Keep up the great work!

alexdwn said...

Sara,
How are you doing. I've never been on a blog before so let me know if I'm doing something wrong. Is it ok for personal messages? I see southern maryland wrote a message yesterday. I wonder who that is?
Anyway we're going to miss you at Christmas this year, but we are sure you'll have an interesting one where you're at. You'll have to tell us all about it. The main thing I remember about Xmas in Zaire was the church service which was about 3 hours long. However, it had a lot of singing by the African choirs which made it bearable. Take care.
alex, et al

Christine C. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ellen said...

heyy sara how have you been doing in Honduras? Your blog is really good wow i wouldn't last living like that=] haha. Well the blog is really interesing and I like it a lot. Take care down there,
ellen